Open Daily 9-5 pm & FREE to the Public
80-1 Lyme Street · Old Lyme, CT 06371
Summer Sculpture Showcase
June 10 - October 28, 2023
Installation: May 23 – June 2, 2023
Opening Reception: June 10, 2023
Closing Reception: October 28, 2023
De-installation Begins: October 31, 2023
Studio 80 + Sculpture Grounds is a vibrant community environment dedicated to arts education and appreciation on the Connecticut shoreline. Our mission is to create a bond between art, nature & community by inspiring and promoting participation in the arts. We host our annual Summer Sculpture Showcase for our community to creatively engage, inspire and interact. We are reaching out to you, friends and fellow artists, to share this Call for Entry among your peers and artistic communities in hopes of expanding our vision to enlighten and enrich.
In response to the impressive success of our previous Summer Sculpture Showcases, owner Gilbert Boro and Studio 80 + Sculpture Grounds is pleased to announce our 9th annual Summer Sculpture Showcase 2023! The Summer Sculpture Showcase, which will be on display from June 10 - October 28, 2023, is part of a year-round outdoor sculptural exhibit on 4.5 acres of beautifully landscaped gardens located along the banks of the Lieutenant River in the historic, art-centric community of Old Lyme, Connecticut. This annual exhibition has featured the selected sculptural works of over 140 acclaimed artists and has experienced tremendous success - reaching an audience of over 7,000 visitors throughout each summer season.
This 9th annual Summer Sculpture Showcase offers a unique opportunity for established artists to exhibit their work in an interactive location, while also effectively creating a dynamic exhibition within the expansive Sculpture Gardens where discovery is limitless. This call for entry invites artists to submit up to four outdoor sculptural works, as well as proposals for site-specific/ecological installations. The deadline for submissions is May 19, 2023 and artists will be notified of acceptance by May22, 2023.
Studio 80 + Sculpture Grounds attracts artists from a broad range of artistic communities, which provides for an exhibition of diverse sculpture. We are excited to allow for an exhibition that nurtures relationships within the artistic community. We are thoroughly invested in the vibrant Old Lyme arts scene and anticipate this exhibition will attract art-loving visitors from near and far. We are committed to the important public mission to enrich the cultural life of the region for the education, enrichment, and enjoyment of our community.
Studio 80 + Sculpture Grounds is located at 80-1 Lyme St., less than a minute from Exit 70 on I- 95. The Sculpture Grounds are open 365 days a year from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily. Admission is free. Children, field trips and group visits are all welcome. For further information, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We encourage you to participate and share this Call for Entry with your art community!
APPLICATIONS ARE DUE MAY 19, 2023
· Up to 4 works may be submitted – The Sculpture Grounds is seeking small and large-scale outdoor works including site- specific/architectural/ecological installations, figurative and representational sculpture. All artworks must be suited for an outdoor environment. No indoor artwork will be accepted.
· Accepted artists will be notified by May 22, 2023. A list of accepted artworks will also be posted on our website www.sculpturegrounds.com. An opening reception is scheduled to be held on June 10, 2023 and closing reception to be held October 28, 2023 (TBD).
· Installations will take place May 23 through June 2, 2022. Assistance will be provided by studio staff and a forklift will be readily available. Artists can provide their own transportation of works to the grounds and install themselves OR ship works to the grounds and studio staff will install the sculptures. Shipping costs are the responsibility of the artist. Please coordinate with Christina Goldberg (email@example.com) to schedule delivery of artwork.
· Works on the grounds are available for sale with a 30% commission to the Studio 80 + Sculpture Grounds. All proceeds from our sculpture sales go directly to funding the Sculpture Grounds which is what enables us to continue to keep the grounds open, free to the public, and fund our art programs. All shipping fees are the responsibility of the artist. Prices are determined by the artist and do not include sales tax, delivery or installation to be paid by the purchaser.
· All accepted artworks will be professionally photographed after installation and images will be used for promotion and publicity on all social media platforms. Each accepted artist will be allotted a webpage on www.sculpturegrounds.com where photographs and information provided from your submission may be used. We will be doing a walking audio tour with the Otocast app, so we will be requiring each artist to submit a short (under two minute) audio recording about their artwork and process.
· Submission of work automatically waives any claim for damage or loss against Studio 80 + Sculpture Grounds, including its employees. Studio 80 + Sculpture Grounds will exercise reasonable care in handling of all entries but will not assume any liability for loss or damage while in Studio 80 + Sculpture Grounds possession.
· De-Installation will take place beginning October 31, 2022. Artists can come and collect works on their own or studio staff can re-crate works to be sent back to artists who will be invoiced for shipping costs.