Studio 80 + Sculpture Grounds’ annual exhibition, Summer Sculpture Showcase, has featured the selected sculptural works of over 80 acclaimed artists, hailing tremendous success, and providing artists with a unique opportunity to showcase their sculpture in a majestic environment specifically designed to nurture the creative arts. The exhibition has drawn over 6000 viewers to the 4.5-acre sculpture garden located on the Connecticut shoreline.
In response to the success of the previous Showcases, Gilbert Boro, owner and sculptor at Studio 80 + Sculpture Grounds in Old Lyme, is pleased to announce Summer Sculpture Showcase 2020 - to be on display from June 8 through October 24, 2020. The 2020 Summer Sculpture Showcase offers a unique opportunity for established sculptors to exhibit their work in a location tailored to accentuating art, while also effectively creating a new exhibition within the Sculpture Gardens. Boro comments...
“I’m delighted to be able to open my grounds to these exceptional sculptors whose work intrigues me. Each one offers original creative thinking resulting in a combination of contrasting conceptual designs in a variety of media. I think any visitor to the exhibition is going to be thoroughly engaged by what he or she sees – including children.”
Boro is somewhat unusual as a professional sculptor in that he loves to see folk of all ages directly interacting with his sculptures, noting that he has a strong aversion to exhibitions, “... where people can’t touch my work.” Apart from attracting visitors to see the works on his grounds, Boro is thoroughly invested in the vibrant Old Lyme arts scene and hopes this exhibition will help cement the town as a summer destination for art-loving visitors from near and far, especially during the town’s Midsummer Festival, which will be hosted this year on Saturday, July 25, 2020.
Studio 80 + Sculpture Grounds is located at 80-1 Lyme St., less than a minute from Exit 70 on I- 95. The Sculpture Grounds are open 365 days a year from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily. Admission is free. Children, field trips and group visits are all welcome. For further information, contact us at 860-434-5957.
APPLICATIONS ARE DUE MAY 1, 2020
Up to 4 works may be submitted – large and small-scale outdoor works and site- specific/architectural & ecological installations. All artwork must be suited for an outdoor environment. No indoor artwork will be accepted.
· Accepted artists will be notified by the second week of May 2020. A list of accepted artworks will also be posted on our website www.sculpturegrounds.com. A closing reception will be held October 24, 2020 during which an honorarium will be awarded to one participant.
· Installations will take place May 11 through May 31, 2020. Assistance will be provided by studio staff and a forklift will be readily available. Artists can provide their own transportation of works to the grounds and install themselves OR ship works to the grounds and studio staff will install the sculptures. Shipping costs are the responsibility of the artist. Please coordinate with Christina Goldberg (email@example.com) to schedule delivery of artwork.
· Works on the grounds are available for sale with a 30% commission to the Studio 80 + Sculpture Grounds. All proceeds from our sculpture sales go directly to funding the Sculpture Grounds which is what enables us to continue to keep the grounds open, free to the public, and fund our art programs. All shipping fees are the responsibility of the artist. Prices are determined by the artist and do not include sales tax, delivery or installation to be paid by the purchaser.
· All accepted artwork will be professionally photographed after installation and images will be used for promotion and publicity on all social media platforms. Each accepted artist will be allotted a webpage on www.sculpturegrounds.com where photographs and information provided from your submission may be used.
· Submission of work automatically waives any claim for damage or loss against Studio 80 + Sculpture Grounds, including its employees. Studio 80 + Sculpture Grounds will exercise reasonable care in handling of all entries but will not assume any liability for loss or damage while in Studio 80 + Sculpture Grounds possession.
· De-Installation will take place beginning October 26, 2020. Artists can come and collect works on their own or studio staff can re-crate works to be sent back to artists who will be invoiced for shipping costs.