Summer Sculpture Showcase 2021
Summer Sculpture Showcase 2021
June 19- October 30, 2021
Submission Deadline: May 14, 2021
(jurying will take place May 17-21)
Installation: May 24 – June 4, 2021
Opening Reception: June 19, 2021
Closing Reception: October 30, 2021
De-installation Begins: October 31, 2021
Studio 80 + Sculpture Grounds is a vibrant community environment dedicated to arts education and appreciation on the Connecticut shoreline. Our mission is to create a bond between art, nature & community by inspiring and promoting participation in the arts.
Studio 80 + Sculpture Grounds’ annual exhibition, Summer Sculpture Showcase, has featured the selected sculptural works of over 100 acclaimed artists, hailing tremendous success, and providing artists with a unique opportunity to showcase their sculpture in a majestic environment specifically designed to nurture the creative arts. The exhibition has drawn over 7000 viewers to the 4.5-acre sculpture garden located on the Connecticut shoreline.
In response to the success of the previous Showcases, Gilbert Boro, owner and sculptor at Studio 80 + Sculpture Grounds in Old Lyme, is pleased to announce Summer Sculpture Showcase 2021 - to be on display from June 19 through October 30, 2021. The 2021Summer Sculpture Showcase offers a unique opportunity for established sculptors to exhibit their work in a location tailored to accentuating art, while also effectively creating a new exhibition within the Sculpture Gardens. Boro comments, “I’m delighted to be able to open my grounds to these exceptional sculptors whose work intrigues me. Each one offers original creative thinking resulting in a combination of contrasting conceptual designs in a variety of media. I think any visitor to the exhibition is going to be thoroughly engaged by what he or she sees – including children.”
Boro is somewhat unusual as a professional sculptor in that he loves to see folk of all ages directly interacting with his sculptures, noting that he has a strong aversion to exhibitions, “... where people can’t touch my work.” Apart from attracting visitors to see the works on his grounds, Boro is thoroughly invested in the vibrant Old Lyme arts scene and hopes this exhibition will help cement the town as a summer destination for art-loving visitors from near and far.
Studio 80 + Sculpture Grounds is located at 80-1 Lyme St., less than a minute from Exit 70 on I- 95. The Sculpture Grounds are open 365 days a year from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily. Admission is free. Children, field trips and group visits are all welcome. For further information, contact us at 860-434-5957.
APPLICATIONS ARE DUE MAY 14, 2021
· Up to 4 works may be submitted – large-scale outdoor works and site- specific/architectural & ecological installations. All artwork must be suited for an outdoor environment. No indoor artwork will be accepted.
· Accepted artists will be notified by May 21, 2021. A list of accepted artworks will also be posted on our website www.sculpturegrounds.com. A n opening reception is scheduled to be held on June 12, 2021 and closing reception to be held October 30, 2021 (TBD).
· Installations will take place May 24 through June 4, 2021. Assistance will be provided by studio staff and a forklift will be readily available. Artists can provide their own transportation of works to the grounds and install themselves OR ship works to the grounds and studio staff will install the sculptures. Shipping costs are the responsibility of the artist. Please coordinate with Christina Goldberg (email@example.com) to schedule delivery of artwork.
· Works on the grounds are available for sale with a 30% commission to the Studio 80 + Sculpture Grounds. All proceeds from our sculpture sales go directly to funding the Sculpture Grounds which is what enables us to continue to keep the grounds open, free to the public, and fund our art programs. All shipping fees are the responsibility of the artist. Prices are determined by the artist and do not include sales tax, delivery or installation to be paid by the purchaser.
· All accepted artwork will be professionally photographed after installation and images will be used for promotion and publicity on all social media platforms. Each accepted artist will be allotted a webpage on www.sculpturegrounds.com where photographs and information provided from your submission may be used.
· Submission of work automatically waives any claim for damage or loss against Studio 80 + Sculpture Grounds, including its employees. Studio 80 + Sculpture Grounds will exercise reasonable care in handling of all entries but will not assume any liability for loss or damage while in Studio 80 + Sculpture Grounds possession.
· De-Installation will take place beginning October 31, 2021. Artists can come and collect works on their own or studio staff can re-crate works to be sent back to artists who will be invoiced for shipping costs.